Some of these facts are already out of date!
– At least one billion people speak or are trying to speak English at the present time. (The British Council)
– 300 million people are currently learning the English language. (The British Council)
– More Chinese people speak English, than English people. (Bill Bryson)
– There are 400 million mother tongue speakers of English.*
– English is the medium for 80% of the information stored in the world’s computers?*
– English is used as an official or semi-official language in over 60 countries. *
– English is used in 85% of the world’s organizations. *
– English is the language of navigation, aviation and of the Ecumenical Council of Churches.*
So – here’s the ‘truth’ of the English language story as told in 2011
The English language continues to expand! Two billion people worldwide are now studying English!
If you want to be global, you’d better start learning!